A Sandy Hook man who sheltered six children fleeing the murderous rampage at their school and the organization that has spearheaded fundraising for the families affected have been inundated with phone calls and messages from conspiracy theorists claiming the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings were a hoax.
Local officials have used such words as "disgusting" and "despicable" to describe those who claim the killings were phony and orchestrated by President Barack Obama's administration to further their gun-control agenda.
Sandy Hook resident Gene Rosen, who lives near the school, confirmed that he has received emails and phone calls from people claiming he is part of a conspiracy.
"I don't know what to do," sighed Gene Rosen. "I'm getting hang-up calls, I'm getting some calls, I'm getting emails with, not direct threats, but accusations that I'm lying, that I'm a crisis actor, 'how much am I being paid?'" Someone posted a photo of his house online. There have been phony Google+ and YouTube accounts created in his name, messages on white supremacist message boards ridiculing the "emotional Jewish guy," and dozens of blog posts and videos "exposing" him as a fraud. One email purporting to be a business inquiry taunted: "How are all those little students doing? You know, the ones that showed up at your house after the 'shooting'. What is the going rate for getting involved in a gov't sponsored hoax anyway?"
"The quantity of the material is overwhelming," he said. So much so that a friend shields him from most of it by doing daily sweeps of the Web so Rosen doesn't have to. His wife is worried for their safety. He's logged every email and every call, and consulted with a retired state police officer, who took the complaint seriously but said police probably can't do anything at the moment; he plans to do the same with the FBI.
Still no word of outrage from any Republican leaders regarding Dean's new found love for trutherism.
A prominent priest who served as pastor of St. Augustine's Cathedral parish in Bridgeport and was a close aide to then-Bishop Edward Egan was indicted on charges he was part of a drug ring that conspired to sell methamphetamine.
Msgr. Kevin Wallin of Waterbury was arrested on a criminal complaint Jan. 3 after a joint investigation by the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Connecticut State Police Statewide Narcotics Task Force.
Wallin, 61, resigned from his position at St. Augustine's, the main church of the Bridgeport diocese, in 2011, citing health and personal problems. He had previously served as pastor of St. Peter Parish in Danbury from 1996 to 2002, and was ordained to the priesthood in 1984.
Wallin was charged with six counts in the indictment Tuesday by a federal grand jury in Bridgeport and faces up to life in prison if he is convicted.
Investigators used court-authorized wire taps, controlled drug buys, physical surveillance and undercover officers to unravel the conspiracy, authorities said. Agents raided Wallin's apartment on Golden Hill Street in Waterbury on Jan. 3 and found suspected methamphetamine, drug paraphernalia and drug packaging materials, according to the indictment.
Federal officials said Wallin allegedly received drug shipments from co-conspirators in California on six occasions between September 2012 and January 2013. An undercover officer then purchased the drugs from Wallin, officials said.
Former state Sen. Ernie Newton plans to fight charges he falsely obtained thousands of dollars in public campaign funds, according to his lawyer. A Hartford Superior Court judge entered a proforma not guilty plea Thursday on his behalf.
Newton appeared in a crowded Hartford courtroom Thursday morning. Judge Joan Alexander called the former Bridgeport lawmaker's case first and quickly entered his plea.
Newton served four years in federal prison after he was convicted of corruption charges in 2006. He had little to say to reporters after his arraignment Thursday on new charges related to his failed re-election campaign.
Newton was arrested early this month when the Office of the Chief State's Attorney charged him with one count of first degree larceny, five counts of illegal campaign practices, and one count of tampering with a witness.
According to the arrest warrant affidavit, Newton submitted false documentation to obtain $80,550 from the state's Citizens Election Program. The warrant says Newton was $500 short of the $15,000 in private contributions he needed to raise to qualify for the Citizens Election Program grant. Newton had five campaign workers sign cards stating they had contributed to the campaign when in fact they had not, the warrant states.