The $60 billion emergency legislation to help New York, New Jersey and Connecticut rebuild and repair after Storm Sandy is apparently dead now that the House won't take up the bill. It will be up to the next Congress, which convenes Thursday, to take up the matter.
A few reactions:
U.S. Rep. Rosa DeLauro called it "simply shameful" in a late night tweet: "Sudden GOP decision to block Sandy relief is unprecedented affront to victims in need."
U.S. Rep. John Larson: "I am deeply disappointed in the Republican Leaders decision. Thousands of Americans in Connecticut, New Jersey and New York are struggling to recover from the most destructive storm to hit the East Coast in more than 80 years. The American people deserve the assurance that when disaster strikes, their government will be there to provide the assistance needed to rebuild and recover. Unfortunately, the Republican Leaders have proven that this is not the case ... Earlier this week, the Senate approved a bipartisan measure that would provide the funding needed for our states to recover. The House has an obligation to consider that legislation, and the Republican leadership's decision not to is deeply disappointing.
U.S. Rep. Jim Himes tweeted that he "can't belief House is adjourning without Sandy vote."
U.S. Rep. Joe Courtney: "The House GOP's decision in the middle of the night to skip a critical vote on Hurricane Sandy relief kills any help for Connecticut, New Jersey and New York this Congress. The Senate acted, and the House should too. It will take months to reset a vote on the floor-months of delay Connecticut can't afford."
The latest on the most idiotic court filings in recent memory.
Days after filing a $100 million lawsuit claiming the state failed to adequately protect the students at Sandy Hook Elementary School -- drawing outrage from area residents and the legal community -- a New Haven lawyer withdrew it Monday.
But that doesn't preclude a future filing, Irving Pinsky said.
"I received new evidence on security at the school, which I need to evaluate," he said, and would decided later "what route to take."
SouthingtonSOS today will announce a collection of violent video games Jan. 12 at the Southington Drive-In on the Meriden-Waterbury Turnpike.
The collection will take place from 9 a.m. to noon, and the town will have a Dumpster on site Jan. 12 for the collection of game cartridges, CDs and DVDs.
The group is expected to announce the collection today at a press conference.
As people arrive in their cars that day to turn in their games of violence, they will be offered a gift certificate donated by a member of the Greater Southington Chamber of Commerce as a token of appreciation for their action of responsible citizenship.
The games turned in will be destroyed and placed in the town Dumpster for appropriate permanent disposal.